The home of the Worcestershire Regiment
Norton Barracks was the depot and home of the Worcestershire Regiment.
- The War Department purchased the 20.5 acres of land for £3,500 in 1872.
- Norton Barracks was built between 1874 and 1878, at a cost of £65,000.
- The barracks consisted of the gatehouse “Keep” with officers’ quarters on one side and offices on the other. The area was enclosed by a high wall, portions of which remain.
- The main function of the barracks was to turn new recruits into soldiers and to administer the Regimental home.
- The barracks was granted Grade 2 listed building status in 1986.
- In the 1990s the whole site was sold off by the Ministry of Defence. The land was used for housing development forming Brockhill Village, Norton and the remaining barracks building was converted into flats.
- A plaque was unveiled in 1995, at the entrance to the ‘Keep’, which reminds people that Norton Barracks would always be the symbolic home of the Worcestershire Regiment. You can view this from Crookbarrow Road. The wording reads:
FROM 1881 TO 1962 MANY THOUSANDS
OF SOLDIERS OF THE WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT
MARCHED THROUGH THIS KEEP IN THE SERVICE
OF THEIR COUNTRY IN PEACE AND WAR.
- In 2011, the remaining regimental presence was moved to the TA Centre in Worcester, ending the army’s presence in Norton.
- A book entitled ‘The story of the Norton Barracks: Home of the Worcestershire Regiment’, was published in 2015.
How the Barracks would have looked.
Aerial photographs of the Barracks – source unknown.
Aerial photographs of the Barracks – Date and source unknown
Norton Barracks – photograph taken looking south across the sports field .